Sunday, February 17, 2013

Brer Rabbit Molasses Cookies


Throughout the years we have associated Sunday with family time. Today, as I was sitting in my room playing Sims and watching Seinfeld while my husband recorded in the other room, I realized I needed a little bit of "family" in my Sunday. Since there wasn't any family nearby I decided to dig into my Grandma Sorensen's recipe boxes. I love these boxes, I was able to take them after my grandma passed and I cherish them. As I was rummaging through recipes I came upon these molasses cookies named after Brer Rabbit. I don't know if you have heard any Brer Rabbit stories, but instantly after reading the name I thought back to all of the times my Grandma Bladen read them to me as a kid. They are very silly and always have some kind of moral at the end. So within about 5 minutes of wanting family on this Sunday I had both my grandmas on my mind.



Onto the cookies! I have never made molasses cookies before, they are kind of like gingersnaps but richer. I was nervous how they would turn out but was very pleased in the end! If you want something sweet and to warm you during this cold winter, try these out!

Brer Rabbit Molasses Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/2 C Shortening
2 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1/2 C Molasses
4 C Flour
4 tsp Soda
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Ginger

In large bowl mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and molasses thoroughly.  In separate bowl sift flour and combine remaining dry ingredients. In 3 increments add dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Chill for 30 minutes. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, then roll in sugar. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes (mine took 12 minutes) on greased cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment