Sunday, February 24, 2013

De"lite"ful Blueberry Muffins


The past month or so I have been trying to eat as healthy as possible. It definitely is not easy, especially when you are wanting to bake constantly. The husband doesn't like me to make him eat all my sweets and I don't have any kids to pawn them off to so what to do? I figured the only thing to do was make some recipes lighter and healthier.

I had some blueberries that needed to be used so I took this muffin recipe and revised it slightly. It was already pretty healthy but I definitely didn't want to use fats and it called for fatty milk. Anyway, here it is, some yummy and filling blueberry muffins!

Recipe revised from: http://www.wholeliving.com/130491/blueberry-health-muffins

3/4 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C all purpose flour
1/2 C toasted wheat germ
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 C brown sugar
3/4 C skim milk
1/4 C applesauce
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 C blueberries
1/4 C oats

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with Smart Balance cooking spray. In a bowl whisk together dry ingredients. Make a well in center of bowl and add wet ingredients. Gently mixed until combined. Fold in blueberries.
2. Divide batter among muffin cups, I use a 1/4 measuring cup. Sprinkle oats over muffins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer muffins to cooling rack.

In addition I took the new recipe to caloriecount.about.com and these babies are only 142 calories per serving! Check it out http://caloriecount.about.com/healthy-revised-blueberry-muffins-recipe-r1297462!

Enjoy








No comments:

Post a Comment