Monday, March 4, 2013

Cranberry Orange Scones


I've been wanting to mix cranberry and orange together for so long but my husband was allergic to orange up until last year. It was a strange allergy and it all of a sudden disappeared! I looked all over for a scone recipe, I usually just do your basic scones but I wanted to add some whole wheat flour and the orange and cranberry. I decided to just wing it and I think they turned out pretty awesome!


Ingredients:

1 C all purpose flour
3/4 C whole wheat flour
3 T sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 orange zested
1/3 C butter
1 egg, beaten
6-8 T milk
1/2 C dried cranberries

Directions:

Heat oven to 400°

Mix flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest together. Cut in cold butter with pastry blender until it resembles fine crumbs. Fold in egg, I use a rubber spatula for this, and then add in milk 2 tablespoons at a time. I added some flax seed to my scones so they needed 2 extra tablespoons in the end, I used the full 8. You might not have to do so. Just get it to the point of being wet but not soaked. Mix in cranberries until combined.




Turn your dough onto a greased cookie sheet and form into 1/2 inch circle. I feel it's easiest to just do this all on the cookie sheet but you are more than welcome to flour your counter for this part. Cut into 8 equal pieces, mine were definitely not equal, haha. More rustic if you ask me. ;) 

Bake for 15-20 minutes. You don't want to over cook so just keep an eye on them. I check them with a knife every so often until it comes out clean and the bottom is golden. 

Last step? Well enjoy of course! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment