Tuesday, March 12, 2013

3 Generation Brownies


I've known these brownies since I was little. My grandma has always made them as well as my mom. My husband tasted them when we were first dating, 7 years ago, and fell in love with them. They are not light like your normal brownies, these babies are dense & chewy. The only difference between these brownies and the original recipe is the frosting. My mom always just bought chocolate frosting and I just can't do that. I decided on a really fudgey frosting for extra richness. So yum! You definitely get a sugar rush from these. 



Now I'm going to give you the recipe for the regular 9x13 dish, I half them sometimes because it's hard to finish a huge pan of brownies without feeling really bad. Haha. So if you have a mean conscience, like me, you can just half this recipe.


Ingredients:
2 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 unsweetened chocolate squares
2/3 C butter
2 C sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F.


Melt chocolate and butter together in microwaveable bowl, it's best to melt chocolate for 30 seconds first, add the butter for another minute. Mix sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl for 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the chocolate and butter to wet ingredients, mix until just combined. Add dry ingredients. Grease a 9x13 pan with butter and dust with flour. I have found this to be the best way to get these brownies out after baking since they are so dense. Spread batter into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Once done let cool for 30 minutes and frost. Don't you worry, I'll give you my frosting recipe!



Chocolate Frosting
Ingredients: 
3 1/2 oz milk chocolate chips
3 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
2 C powdered sugar
1/4 C milk
1/4 C butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
Melt chocolate in double boiler over stove, or in a glass bowl over boiling water. Stir the chocolate occasionally until melted and smooth. You could also put the chocolate in the microwave, checking every 30 seconds until fully melted. 
Pour the chocolate into mixing bowl of a mixer and add powdered sugar, milk, butter, vanilla, and salt. Beat until smooth, I used the whisk attachment this last time and it made the frosting slightly fluffier which I liked. You can use either attachment. Since this frosting is slightly warm I always let it sit for 30 minutes while the brownies are cooling. Once set, you have 2 options. The first option is what I do, I flip the brownies onto a platter and then frost them. Your second option would be to frost in the pan and cut as you want a piece. Either way they taste awesome! Top with nuts and enjoy!



1 comment: